Attorney, CPA, or Enrolled Agent - Low Income Tax Clinic
Every day, people across Illinois are denied the basic rights to which they are entitled under the law simply because they can’t afford a lawyer. It’s our mission to change that.
PSLS is seeking an Attorney, CPA, or Enrolled Agent for PSLS’s Low Income Tax Clinic (LITC). The LITC ensures the fairness and integrity of the tax system by providing free legal representation to low-income taxpayers in disputes with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), conducting outreach and education to low-income taxpayers about their rights and responsibilities, and by identifying and advocating for issues that impact low-income taxpayers. The LITC receives its funding, in part, by a grant from the Internal Revenue Service since 2011.
Working in a LITC can be one of the most rewarding roles in legal aid because of the significant financial impact cases can have for clients. Common controversies handled by our LITC include: audits, appeals, requests for innocent spouse relief, mitigating IRS collection actions (through offers in compromise, currently not collectible status, and installment agreements), representation in US Tax Court, disputing wrongful tax debts, denials of available deductions and credits (including the Earned Income Tax Credit); and tax problems stemming from identity theft, worker misclassification, and deceptive tax schemes. Although our LITC is not a tax preparation service, the Clinic will prepare prior years’ tax returns when necessary to resolve a taxpayer’s controversy.
The successful candidate may work out of the PSLS office location that best meets the needs of the firm and the chosen candidate. For a list of PSLS offices, visit https://pslegal.org/our-offices.
Through the efforts described below, the Attorney, CPA, or Enrolled Agent will have a lasting impact on service to low-income taxpayers in northern and central Illinois. Among other duties as assigned, they will:
- Interview applicants for legal services and assess their tax issues
- Provide legal services for clients through legal research, counsel and advice, litigation including in the U.S. Tax Court, advocacy before the IRS and the Illinois Department of Revenue, and systemic advocacy on issues having an impact on low-income and ESL taxpayers
- Train legal services attorneys on the intersection of tax law with other areas in which they practice
- Stay abreast of tax law changes and regulations
- Work with PSLS’ Pro Bono Director to develop pro bono resources to help serve our clients
- Work with PSLS Community Resource Specialists to educate community partners and members about tax issues
- Develop and maintain networking relationships with local bar associations and with local, state, and federal governments and community agencies that serve our client population
- Track data required by funders, keep accurate records on service delivery, and assist in reviewing funding proposals and grant reports to the IRS and other sources
- Exhibit a high level of personal energy, organization, and commitment to the position and the PSLS mission
Salary and Benefits
This is a full-time position at 37.5 hours per week. PSLS offers a salary competitive with similar organizations. The salary scale for this position starts at $60,577 per year for candidates who meet the minimum qualifications and increases with relevant experience. PSLS is committed to providing an excellent, comprehensive benefits package to its full-time employees that includes:
- Health insurance, including the opportunity to qualify for a wellness credit
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- 403b Retirement Plan including employer contributions
- Flex scheduling and partial remote work available
- Extensive training and education program
- PTO that starts at 3 weeks/year and increases with additional years worked at PSLS
- Paid sick leave
- 6 weeks of paid parental leave after one year of employment
- 12 paid holidays
- CPA, J.D., or Enrolled Agent certification required. Candidate must have credentials that permit advocacy on behalf of clients with the IRS but is not required to be admitted to U.S. Tax Court at time of application
- Experience resolving tax controversies such as cases involving entitlements to credits and deductions, and pursuing collection remedies such as offers in compromise, installment agreements, and innocent spouse relief, preferred but not required
- Excellent attention to detail, interpersonal skills, and oral and written communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Demonstrated organizational and case management skills
- Ability to adapt well to different dynamics within a fast paced environment
- Ability to support organizational and program specific mission and goals
- We will give preference to candidates who have experience providing services to low-income individuals
- Some travel is required; applicant must have a valid driver's license and/or reliable transportation
- Resident of the state of Illinois OR willing to relocate or commute to Illinois on a regular basis
Please indicate “LITC Attorney, CPA, or Enrolled Agent” in the subject line and email a letter identifying your office preference and explaining your interest and experience, resume, three references, and a short writing sample (no more than 10 pages) to email@example.com.
Resumes accepted until position is filled.
Prairie State Legal Services is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive working environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, employ, pay, and promote qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender, gender identity, expression, or presentation, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or any other legally protected status.
Prairie State Legal Services is a not for profit civil legal aid organization that has served northern and central Illinois for more than 40 years, maintains 11 office locations, and has a staff of over 200 employees including training and litigation staff with extensive experience. Our 36 county service area includes rural communities, suburban areas, and mid-size urban cities which necessitates the development of diverse strategies and we encourage our staff to cultivate and utilize creative approaches to reach and serve our client population. Employees of PSLS benefit from the expertise and community connections of their local office staff along with robust program-wide resources. We strive to provide an array of services responsive to the needs of our clients. PSLS has excellent fiscal controls and upholds the highest rating from Charity Navigator and Guidestar. For more information regarding PSLS services and operations, please visit our website at https://pslegal.org.