Everyone Deserves An Opportunity To Provide For Themselves And Their Family
At Prairie State Legal Services, we work to empower individuals by increasing access to education and employment. We help clients improve their quality of life through increased access to income support programs. We remove barriers to employment for people with arrest and conviction histories.
We help people with disabilities get the support they need to reach their potential and live with dignity. We help clients resolve income tax disputes with the IRS and we help clients facing unfair debt collection. We help children get the education they need to succeed and thrive, including helping children with disabilities get necessary support.
PSLS helps individuals and families obtain and maintain Medicaid and Medicare and obtain coverage for the healthcare services they need. We help older adults and people with disabilities get the help needed to remain in their own home or secure coverage for long-term care.
We empower older adults and people with disabilities to take charge of their healthcare decisions through powers of attorney. When necessary, we help family members obtain guardianship or other legal authority to care for loved ones. We help people who are HIV+ or who have AIDS obtain the care and services they need. In certain communities, we work with healthcare providers in a Medical-Legal Partnership to provide holistic services and address the legal needs of patients.
- Seeking expungements and sealing criminal records, restoring driver’s licenses, and removing other barriers to employment, education and housing
- SNAP (Food Stamp) and TANF (cash) denials, calculations, overpayments and sanctions
- Medical assistance denials, terminations, spend down issues (Medicaid, Medicare)
- SSI and Social Security denials, cessations, terminations, overpayments and garnishments
- SSI/SSD applications for people living with HIV-AIDS
- Special education, school discipline, and school enrollment issues
- Community Care Program and Home Services Program issues
- Tax disputes with IRS, including innocent spouse relief, identity theft, and collections
- Nursing home discharges
- Home care services
- Guardianships of adults to ensure access to healthcare
- Powers of attorney and other advance directives