Pro Bono Coordinator - Southwest Suburbs
Every day, people across Illinois are denied the basic rights to which they are entitled under the law simply because they can’t afford a lawyer. It’s our mission to change that.
Prairie State Legal Services, Inc. is seeking a candidate to join our team as a Pro Bono Coordinator. PSLS provides a wide-range of legal support to serve some of the most vulnerable members of our communities with a focus on assisting with legal problems that impact the ability of our clients to meet their basic human needs, including physical safety, access to healthcare, adequate housing, and financial stability. PSLS also has a vibrant volunteer program through which local volunteer attorneys assist PSLS clients free-of-charge. The Pro Bono Project Lead will develop projects and clinics in accordance with the needs of clients and the interests of the volunteer base. PSLS is the only legal aid organization in the majority of our area and we pride ourselves on providing high quality legal services to our clients while fostering a work environment that is motivating, collaborative, and rewarding, with plenty of opportunities for professional growth.
The office location for the Pro Bono Coordinator will be either Joliet or Kankakee-as best meets the needs of the program and the location of the candidate.
Among other duties as assigned, the Pro Bono Coordinator will:
- Interview prospective clients, assess eligibility, and evaluate cases for pro bono assistance
- Place cases with volunteers in areas of law consistent with PSLS priorities, including housing, consumer, public benefits, and family law
- Prepare form pleadings and instructional materials for volunteers
- Maintain client files and database records, including collection of documentation from clients and volunteers
- Regularly attend meetings and evaluate cases for pro bono assistance
- Conduct outreach to ensure sufficient clients for each project
- Manage assigned Pro Bono Projects, including maintaining a list of volunteers for each project, referring interested attorneys into different projects, recruiting attorneys for Pro Bono Unit projects, and running clinics for different Pro Bono Unit projects
- Ensure that volunteers for each project receive all necessary training and support
- Ensure local volunteers’ work is accomplished in accordance with funder requirements, including regulations of the Legal Services Corporation
- Serve as liaison between the local office and the central Pro Bono Unit, including regularly attending pro bono specific meetings, reporting on new or emerging trends among the client community, referring eligible local clients to Pro Bono Unit projects and assisting with outreach to local client populations, referring interested local attorneys to Pro Bono Unit projects and assisting with recruitment of local attorneys for Pro Bono Unit projects as requested, and assisting with local clinics for different Pro Bono Unit projects when requested
- High School Diploma, GED, or equivalent and/or a combination of education and years of relevant work experience
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent oral and written communication
- Strong computer skills including proficiency using Microsoft Word and Excel
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively as a team member
- The ability to cultivate and maintain strong relationships with program volunteers
- Occasional travel is necessary; valid driver’s license and/or reliable transportation is required
- Demonstrated interest in and commitment to assisting low-income individuals in the resolution of their legal problems
- Spanish language proficiency is preferred, but not required
- We will give preference to candidates who have experience providing services to low-income individuals
Salary and Benefits
The Pro Bono Coordinator position is a full-time position at 37.5 hours per week. PSLS offers a salary competitive with similar organizations. Our salary scale starts at $50,000 per year for candidates who meet the minimum qualifications, and increases with each year of relevant experience. PSLS is committed to providing an excellent, comprehensive benefits package to its full-time employees that includes:
- Health insurance, including the opportunity to qualify for a wellness credit
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- 403b retirement plan including employer contributions
- Extensive training and education program
- PTO that starts at 3 weeks/year and increases with additional years worked at PSLS
- Paid sick leave
- 6 weeks of paid parental leave after one year of employment
- 12 paid holidays
Please indicate “Pro Bono Coordinator” in the subject line and email a letter explaining your interest and experience, your office preference, your resume, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Resumes accepted until position is filled.
Prairie State Legal Services is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive working environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, employ, pay, and promote qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender, gender identity, expression, or presentation, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or any other legally protected status.
Prairie State Legal Services is a not for profit civil legal aid organization that has served northern and central Illinois for more than 40 years, maintains 11 office locations, and has a staff of 200 employees including training and litigation staff with extensive experience. Our 36 county service area includes rural communities, suburban areas, and mid-size urban cities which necessitates the development of diverse strategies and we encourage our staff to cultivate and utilize creative approaches to reach and serve our client population. Employees of PSLS benefit from the expertise and community connections of their local office staff along with robust program-wide resources. We strive to provide an array of services responsive to the needs of our clients. PSLS has excellent fiscal controls and upholds the highest rating from Charity Navigator and Guidestar. For more information regarding PSLS services and operations, please visit our website at www.pslegal.org.