Community Resource Specialist - West Suburban
Every day, people across Illinois are denied the basic rights to which they are entitled under the law simply because they can’t afford a lawyer. It’s our mission to change that.
Prairie State Legal Services, Inc. is seeking a Community Resource Specialist for its West Suburban office. Community Resource Specialists at PSLS serve as bridges for better communications between PSLS staff and the people we serve, including victims of domestic violence, older adults, veterans, and residents of neighborhoods that have been deeply impacted by poverty and incarceration. Community Resource Specialists also serve as liaisons between PSLS and partner agencies to connect PSLS clients with resources beyond legal services.
Community Resource Specialists work in collaboration with the local Staff Attorneys and Community Engagement Manager to address a range of legal problems that impact the ability of our clients to meet their fundamental requirements for physical safety, access to healthcare, adequate housing, and education, and to eliminate barriers to employment. The Community Resource Specialist will work with local Staff Attorneys and Community Engagement Manager to make services more widely available through various outreach efforts.
Among other duties as assigned, the Community Resource Specialist will:
- Create content for and provide community outreach with an emphasis on churches, social service agencies, community centers, Veterans Associations, and local organizations that serve communities of color
- Establish connections with the communities we serve to build trust and gather data regarding areas of legal need
- Identify locations to present legal information or offer intake services and coordinate scheduling such activities
- Identify community meetings or events to attend to learn more about community issues and needs and provide information about PSLS services
- Utilize online legal information resources to help residents find legal information
- Assist with creating and conducting a multi-session training program for community residents to learn to be a volunteer community resource to their peers
- Work with the Staff Attorneys to connect clients with resources outside of PSLS
- High School Diploma, GED, or equivalent education preferred but not required
- Commitment to improving access to legal aid
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Proficient with computers and online tools
- Comfort with public speaking, presenting to small and mid-sized groups, meeting new people, and engaging with community organizations
- Experience working with the community at large and specifically working with diverse populations preferred
- Moderate travel is necessary; valid driver's license and/or reliable transportation is required
Salary and Benefits
The Community Resource Specialist position is a full-time position at 37.5 hours per week. PSLS offers a salary competitive with similar organizations, and the Community Resource Specialist position starts at $42,000 per year for candidates who meet the minimum qualifications and increases with relevant experience. PSLS is committed to providing an excellent, comprehensive benefits package to its full-time employees that includes:
- Health insurance, including the opportunity to qualify for a wellness credit
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- 403b Retirement Plan
- Extensive training and education program
- Travel Reimbursement
- Flex scheduling and paritial remote work
- PTO starts at 2.5 weeks/year and increases with additional years worked
- Paid sick leave
- 6 weeks of paid parental leave after one year of employment
- 12 paid holidays per year
Application Details - Resumes accepted until positions are filled
Please indicate “Community Resource Specialist - West Suburban” in the subject line and email a letter explaining your interest and experience, resume, three references, and a short writing sample (no more than 10 pages) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Prairie State Legal Services is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive working environment and is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer. We recruit, employ, pay, and promote qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender, gender identity, expression, or presentation, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or any other legally protected status.
Prairie State Legal Services is a not-for-profit civil legal aid organization that has served northern and central Illinois for more than 45 years, maintains 11 office locations, and has a staff of over 200 employees, including training and litigation staff with extensive experience. Our 36-county service area includes rural communities, suburban areas, and mid-size urban cities, which necessitates the development of diverse strategies, and we encourage our staff to cultivate and utilize creative approaches to reach and serve our client population. Employees of PSLS benefit from the expertise and community connections of their local office staff, along with robust program-wide resources. We strive to provide an array of services responsive to the needs of our clients. PSLS has excellent fiscal controls and upholds the highest rating from Charity Navigator and Guidestar. For more information regarding PSLS services and operations, please visit our website at https://pslegal.org.